A major attraction of the NWU is its strategic location and multi-campus structure, consisting of campuses in Mahikeng, Potchefstroom and Vanderbijlpark.
• The Mahikeng Campus is located in the capital of the North West Province and has an international ambience, with students from a number of different countries enrolled at its faculties. The Campus has a rural atmosphere, with solid buildings and a safe environment.
• The Potchefstroom Campus is situated in the historical university town of Potchefstroom. Side by side with its strong tradition of academic excellence across its faculties, the Campus is renowned for the excellence of its sports and cultural facilities. Each year, the Campus hosts numerous athletes from across the world, who are drawn by its high-performance training facilities, altitude and climate. Culturally, the Campus boasts a wide range of drama, choral and musical groups that have made their mark nationally and even internationally.
• Situated on the banks of the Vaal River in a proclaimed nature reserve, the Vanderbijlpark Campus with its diverse population also boasts a unique environmental setting, with various species of game roaming the campus grounds. Until recently, the Campus had only one academic faculty but, thanks to demand from business and industry and strong growth in student numbers, it now boasts two faculties, the Faculty of Economic Sciences and Information Technology and the Faculty of Humanities.
This geographical footprint of the NWU has several important advantages because it:
• Offers convenient access to a wider student base than many other universities.
• Promotes student diversity – a critical success factor in democratic South Africa – by bridging the urban-rural, racial, language and cultural divide. This diversity is reflected by the NWU’s multilingual character, incorporating English, Afrikaans and Setswana as the official languages of communication.
• Ensures that NWU is at the heart of technological, industrial and scientific progress. Gauteng is South Africa’s most industrialised province, while the North-West Province is rapidly developing into an incubator of entrepreneurial activity.