NWU honours its cream of the crop
On Friday, 7 October 2016, the NWU honoured its top alumni at an awards ceremony in Sandton. This year’s awards ceremony also included the prestigious NWU Lifetime Achievement Award as well as recognition to the NWU’s alumni who excelled this year in the international sports arena.
The coveted Lifetime Achievement Award went to the former vice-chancellor of the NWU, Dr Theuns Eloff, who completed his BJur Economics degree at the former Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education in 1972. It is the second time that this prestigious award is given in recognition. The previous recipient was former state president, Mr FW de Klerk.
Other renowned alumni who were awarded include a judge president, a television mogul, a world renowned tenor, respected researchers, an executive head for public affairs and an international jet ski racer.
- Dr Theuns Eloff, former vice-chancellor of the NWU and current executive director of the FW de Klerk Foundation, Lifetime Achievement Award.
- Mr Kobie van Rensburg, musical virtuoso and head of Umculo Opera Incubator, Arts and Culture Award.
- Ms Karen Meiring, director of Afrikaans channels at M-Net and KykNet, Business Leadership Award.
- Ms Yvonne Mfolo, executive head for public affairs at Kumba Iron Ore, Community Involvement Award.
- Judge Frans Kgomo, Judge President of the Northern Cape, Public Service Award.
- Dr Tanya Robinson, phenomenal researcher, Research Award.
- Ms Shanté Bukes, international jet ski racer, Sport Award.
- Prof Llewellyn van Zyl, researcher and industrial psychologist, Young Alumnus Award.
For many years now, NWU alumni have made their mark – not only in South Africa – but also internationally. This year marks the fourth year that NWU alumni are recognised with the prestigious awards.
Caster Semenya and Sunette Viljoen who made the podium at the Olympic Games received NWU Ambassador Awards. Willem Coertzen, Elroy Gelant, Terseus Liebenberg and Jean Verster received ambassador certificates for excelling in their sport disciplines.