Staff member: Bio note: Dr Ansie Fouché
Ansie Fouché is a registered social worker since 1993. She established the subject group Social Work on the Vaal Triangle Campus of the North-West University in 2008 and was appointed as a senior lecturer in 2009. She acted as subject head until February 2013. Ansie is a researcher in the sub-programme Pathways to Resilience and Post-Traumatic Growth within the Optentia Research Programme. Her research interests include: pathways to resilience in families who are at perceived risk to be perpetrated by child sexual offenders; and the rights of victims of child sexual abuse in the criminal justice system. She is also involved in a multi-disciplinary research project on post-traumatic growth in women who have experienced sexual abuse as a child.
I teach and is responsible for the following courses
BSWG112 Human behaviour in the social environment across the life span.
BSWG212 Child Care Legislation and associated interventions
BSWG322 Social work with families and children:concepts and skills for effective practice.
BSWG471 Internship- 4th year social work students
BSWG472 Social work research: Theory and application
BSWG411 Crime and Forensic Social work
South African Council for Social Service Professions (SACSSP 10-14972)
Ansie has extensive experience in the investigation of allegations of child sexual abuse, and the assessment and therapeutic intervention with children, adolescents and adults. She is also the presenter and co-presenter of workshops presented country wide on: assessment of child sexual abuse; expert witnessing in criminal cases; prevention of child sexual abuse; acting as an intermediary; therapeutic tools for adolescents and adults; and bereavement counselling.
Recent research publications :
- Fouché. A. & Joubert, J.M.C. 2003. Play techniques in the assessment of sexually abused black children. Acta Criminologica, 16(4):12 - 20.
- Fouché, A. 2006. Assessment of the sexually abused child. In Spies, G.M. (Ed.) Sexual Abuse: Dynamics, assessment and healing. Pretoria: Van Schaik Publishers.
- Fouché, A. & Yssel, J.M. 2006. Play therapy with the sexually abused child. In Spies, G.M.(Ed.) Sexual Abuse: Dynamics, assessment and healing. Pretoria: Van Schaik Publishers.
- Williams, H.J. & Fouché, A. 2008. Rehabilitation of adult sexual offenders: A Management programme. Acta Criminologica, 21(2):150-162.
- Fouché, A. & Joubert, J.M.C. 2009. Facilitating disclosure of child sexual abuse victims in the middle childhood: A seven-phase forensic interviewing protocol. Acta Criminologica, 22(2): 41-59.
- Fouché, A. 2012. Prevention of sexual child abuse: The need for an ecological risk-factor approach, Child abuse research in South Africa, 13(2): 75-86.