FACULTY OF LAW
Research Unit @ Law
Research Unit for Law, Justice and Sustainability
RESEARCH ENTITY DESCRIPTION
Research in the Research Unit utilises law to find innovative juridical solutions to advance justice and sustainability in South Africa and the region as a member of the international community of states and as an influential country on the African continent.
Vision and Strategic Aim
The vision and strategic aim of the Research Unit is to utilise juridical science and the law to find innovative solutions for challenges of justice and sustainability in South Africa and the region as it relates to the rest of the world and to strive towards national, regional and international research excellence through innovative research.
The Research Unit strives to promote justice by finding theoretical and practical solutions for the realisation of the rights and values in the Constitution.
• To be recognized nationally, regionally and internationally for sustained quality of output and contribution to the central theme and projects of the Research Unit.
• To deliver Masters and Doctoral students who are capable of lateral and critical thinking and who are able to find innovative solutions for challenges of justice and sustainability in South Africa and the region as it relates to the rest of the world.
• To devote the Research Unit’s efforts to the production of focused research output of highquality relevant in both the local, regional and international context.
• To be involved in developmental aspects/activity, to be of service to the community and to provide expertise on a voluntary basis.
• To continually improve the research projects and other output of the Research Unit in view of national and regional priorities in a legal context and challenges posed by the scholarly community, the country, continent and the world.
• To utilize the "juridical science and law" to find innovative solutions and to solve developmental problems in South Africa and the region.
• To participate in discussions on legal issues pertaining to the challenges of justice and sustainability in South Africa and the region and to provide legal-based solutions.
The Research Unit conducts research in various projects.
Structure of the Research Unit:
Director of the Research Unit: Prof Willemien du Plessis
Research Professor: Prof LJ Kotzé
Personal assistant of Research Director: Rieëtte Venter