Starting October 2015, students of the NWU are eligible to use the Office 365 Subscription that includes Office 2016 for free. The only costs will be that of the bandwidth utilized in the process of installation or when working in the cloud. This installation is only available to Full-time Undergrads, to find out if you are eligible please contact the IT Walk-in Service.
How to install Office 2016 when OFFLINE (only for PCs)
- Uninstall previous versions of Office (recommended).
- Click here to download the Offline Installer.
- Double click on the O365-2016-Stud.exe file for the installation to start.
- Office 2013 (if present on the PC) will automatically be removed.
- Should older versions of Office be present, the installation will stop and you will be asked to uninstall the older version(s).
- After the installation you may open any of the applications e.g. Word and click on the login option in the right hand corner of the screen.
- Students login with NWUemail@example.com (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org) and the password is your Network password (the same one used for eFundi).
How to install Office 2016 when ONLINE
- Mobile login is to be chosen for PCs, Macs, tablets and phones.
If I have an older version of Microsoft Office on my computer, can I still install Office 2016?
No. All other versions of Office must be removed before the installation can be completed. We recommend that you remove your previous versions of Microsoft Office, before installing Office 2016. Remember that you will need your product key should you wish to reinstall your previous versions at a later stage.
Should I install 32-bit or 64-bit version?
The 32-bit version is recommended for most users and can be installed on 32-bit or 64-bit operating systems. The 64-bit Office can only be installed on a 64-bit operating system.
Can I visit my tablet's or phone’s apps store instead, to install Office 2016?
Yes. Note that the applications are installed separately e.g. Word, Excel etc.
What can I try first, should I have a problem with installation?
Clear the cache of your browser by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Delete.
Where can I find help?
Where can I find training material?
What about the PCs or Macs in the Computer Rooms, Residences and Libraries?
These PCs or Macs are installed with Office 2013 Pro. Don’t install Office 2016 in the Computer Rooms as you will use one of your 5 licenses.
You may however access your Office 365 account from a workstation in a Computer Room when working in the cloud.
Office 2016 is for your personal use only and therefore may only be installed on your personal PCs, Macs or other mobile devices.
What are the system requirements for a PC?
OS: Window 7 or higher
Processor: at least 1 GHz
Memory: 1 GB of RAM for 32- bit or 2 GB of Ram for 64 bit
Disk space: at least 3 GB of available disc space
What are the system requirements for a Mac?
OS: Mac OS X version 10.6 or later
Processor: Intel processor
Memory: 1 GB of Ram
Disk space: 2.5 GB of available disc space
What are the system requirements for mobile IOS devices?
iOS 8.0 or higher.
What are the system requirements for mobile Android devices?
Android OS 4.4 or higher.
On how many machines/devices can I install Office 2016 on?
Enjoy a full, installed Office experience across PCs, Macs, Windows tablets and iPad® and Android™ tablets, and most mobile devices. Each user can install Office on 5 PCs or Macs, 5 tablets/phones.
What happens when a student graduates?
Graduated students’ Office 365 subscription through the NWU ends upon graduation. Students may then enrol into other consumer or commercial offers available.
- It is free.
- You will always have the latest versions of the Office programs.
- You must have an active NWU#.
- You have to connect to the Internet once every 90 days to verify that you are still eligible for the program. If you don’t, your subscription will expire.
What sign-in and password do I use for the Office 365 subscription?
How can I find out how many machines or devices I have already activated?
You can see how many computers you have activated by signing into the portal. Click on Settings > Office 365 settings > Software. You will be able to see every PC and mobile device that you have activated, how many downloads are still available, as well as be able to de-activate an installation.