BCom Forensic Accountancy
Qualifications that are offered:
BCom Forensic Accounting
Period: 3-year full time
- APS 36 and Mathematics & a language on level 5 (60-69%)
Accounting is strongly recommended, but is not a prerequisite
Criminal Law, Criminal Procedure, Law of Evidence
Hons BCom (Forensic Accounting)
Period: 1-year full-time
Admission requirements: BCom in Forensic Accounting
MCom (Forensic Accounting)
Period: 1 year full time, or 2 years part time
Admission requirements: Hons BCom in Forensic Accounting OR CA(SA) with LLB OR CA(SA) with three years relevant practical experience
Format: Research dissertation
PhD (Forensic Accounting)
More information can be obtained from the yearbook of the Faculty
What do forensic accountants do?
Forensic accountants busy themselves with the prevention, detection and combatting of commercial crimes and related irregularities. They collect and analyse data in an objective and independent manner in order to put their clients or employers in the position to react in a legal and sustainable manner to such commercial crimes and related irregularities in legal proceedings.
Where will I work?
- Private practice
- Internal forensic divisions of large companies (e.g. banks, insurance companies, Sasol, AngloGold, etc.)
- Forensic divisions of government institutions (Special Investigation Unit, Commercial branch of the South African Police Service, Auditor-General, South African Revenue Service, etc.)
- Forensic division of auditing firms or legal firms, for instance the "Big 4" auditing firms:
Why Forensics at the NWU-Puk?
- The NWU-PUK is the only university in the country that offers a dedicated BCom degree in Forensic Accounting
- The NWU-PUK has the largest dedicated group of professional lecturers in Forensic Accounting in the country
- All lectures are presented in Afrikaans or English (with simultaneous interpreting services)
- Support to students in the form of additional facilitation classes, ‘open door’ access to lecturers and full-time academic clerks, life- and career mentors and professional psychologists
- A great emphasis on contact with the important role-players in the market by means of guest lectures and vacation work for students
- Positive feedback from employers pertaining to the high quality of our students’ skills